Coming to an end...

...of a never-ending story.

This will be my last blogpost for now. Working with various aspects of “Water and Food in Africa” made me realize how big this topic is. No blog could ever summarize all details and interesting stories concerning this topic. It also showed me how important it is to talk about different points of view, the threatening influence of climate change and new perspectives in a changing world.

Before I started writing this blog, I had a vague idea about food and water issues in Africa, based on media representation and common knowledge. Studying and researching different case studies, reading articles, and getting to know the facts ‘behind’ the stories that are produced by the media of the global north made me realize the possibilities and threats our world and the African continent are dealing with. Water and food, being the basic needs for all living creatures, will be even more discussed in the future. It has a lot of potential to be developed by traditional and modern techniques, international cooperation and in my opinion a less westernized development approach. This was especially interesting for me when I read about irrigation methods and drought protection. To my mind, participatory development, the development from within and indigenous knowledge are essential to make strategies against droughts and famines work.

Even though water plays an important role in relation to hunger crises, other influencing factors such as political instabilities, war and conflicts or an uneven distribution of natural resources should not be overlooked.

This being my final post, doesn’t mean I will stop caring about the subject, because for me, water and food in countries of the global south is a field I will always be interested in.

Comments